Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Beyond Tired

Well I made it. After 23 hours of traveling I am here in Qingdao and I am all set up and ready to go. The set up here is pretty sweet. I live in an apartment with another teacher named James whose wife is in the states with a broken foot. She is there because having a broken foot here basically means you can’t do anything easily. There are about a hundred stairs involved in getting anywhere so she is in the states living with her parents until she gets better. All of that to say I have a roommate and a place to live for a while till she gets back. After that I believe I will be moving to a host home, but I will cross that bridge when I get to it.

Qingdao seems to be a pretty awesome city from what I can tell. A little bit of history: Qingdao is a very young city. It was founded as a German colony so things still look kind of European-esk (but don’t be fooled it doesn’t look anything like Germany). The Yellow sea is about a 5-7 minute walk from my apartment and is very beautiful. I can’t wait to see a sunrise on it. I’m sure it will be beautiful and I will take lots of pictures for all of you.

I am working at a school called QMIS. It is an International Christian school with about 300 students. I will be working with the elementary K-5. I got to sit in on a class yesterday and they are literally the cutest children on the face of the earth. Honestly if you are an elementary teacher and you think you kids are cute they pale in comparison to the kids here. I will hopefully post a video or at least some audio here shortly that will make you smile.

My first day here was pretty intense. Once I arrived I was picked up at the airport and taken directly to the school for a tour. I ended up staying there all day and observing 2 classes. Needless to say I was beyond tired. I was stupidly tired after spending 23 hours traveling then going to school for another 6 hours and finally ended my school day sitting in on 2 meetings with they guy I was living with so I could go home with him and once I got home I unpacked and then went to dinner with some people that invited us over for another 2 hours. In the end I slept very well and I am hoping I will get over this jet lag soon.

I thank you all for your prayers and I pray for you as often as I think of you.

6 comments:

  1. You'll have a great time there. Welcome to a life of being a live-in-another-country junkie. Keeps you on your toes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations on making it. Figure on about 2-3 days to get over the lag.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Costa says it should be named "In the here and Meow"

    ReplyDelete
  4. I did not post that remark about Costa. Dad was using my computer. Glad to hear you made it. It sounds wonderful. I am sure you can hardly wait to get out and explore. By the way I seriously doubt that your kindergartners are cuter than mine. Do you have a shoe thrower?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aww Caleb thats so awesome! thats one loooonggg day. I loved to read about your 'cutist students ever', thats adorable. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete